Saturday, October 6, 2007

The RESIDENT COUNCIL -


The RESIDENT COUNCIL -
.
---This should be a place to get things done, after a try with your IDT has come up short. The chain of command would be to begin with the nurse manager of the unit. If you were unsatisfied with the nurse managers and IDT advice, then bring issue to Residents Council.
---We know that the above scenario doesn't come into play, very often. And that is for a number of different reasons. I started to think of the different ways and reasons that it doesn't work, and it comes down to the fact that the chain-of-command is NOT well-known.
---To top it off, we, for the most part, don't have a ''good,'' relationship with the person that we would take the issue to, anyway, if it was a perfect world.
---In my estimation, I think that if Residents felt ''comfortable,'' with members of their IDT, and trusted their judgments and decisions, they would use them more often. But, by the same token, the members of the IDT have to PROVE that their judgments and decisions are worth trusting. Some, of what goes down, as trustworthy decisions and judgments, makes you wonder.
---I believe that if the Resident has a top notch support mechanism, in place, the above would NOT be as problematic. He would naturally go to the party, who could resolve the problem.
---Personally, I find that the person I want to talk to, is NOT ALWAYS AVAILABLE. I, myself, find I play the ''waiting,'' game, a lot. I believe, also, that if the ''team,'' worked more as a unit and were more on the same page, that we would see a marked improvement.
---People tend to be more self-centered than Resident-Centered...and that includes, both, Residents and Staff. People prioritize differently - You may NOT be the priority, at that moment.
.
The Golden Rule - Treat Others As You WANT To Be Treated.

No comments: