Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Staff/Resident DANCE -

---What we want to speak of is the dance between the Staff and the Resident. I think we ALL can relate to an old-fashioned high school dance. It is a dance where the boys sit on one side of the room and the girls sit on the other. Every now and then we see two of the participants actually dancing together...but, mostly we find the boys with the boys and the girls with the girls.

---This is much the same vision I have of the hospital in which I live. The Residents could be the boys and the Staff could be the girls. It really doesn't matter who plays who in the scenario. The point is that both sides don't communicate very well. I'm, also, not speaking of the fine medical part of the equation. They take care of us pretty well. But...I think that as far as interacting together, the ''Staff/Resident Dance'' - needs some help. It is ALL about the attitudes involved toward one another.

---This coming week we are having members of the Eden Project coming in to teach us how to ''dance'' better, together. I would once again like to reiterate that I think we are better TOGETHER...than we were in 2003, when I began living at the Hospital/Nursing Home. If we were back at the old-fashioned dance, we would see only a few staff/resident couples dancing.

---Just to be sure that you understand that I'm not trying to be weird here. The couples signify the staff and residents. They understand each other's role very well...for the most part. The residents need the help and kindness of the staff...just to do ordinary things. When it works...IT WORKS GREAT. This is what the Eden classes are for. To fix what needs fixing. 

---Let's tweak what needs tweaking.  Good luck to all who are taking the class. I hope everyone hears what they need to hear. Shoot HIGH. Convey your learnings. Help those who need help on either side. Does ''DANCING WITH THE STARS'' sound good to anyone?

No comments: