Friday, February 6, 2015

The SECRET -


Relating To A Member
of the Underserved Population;

The SECRET


---What I have been working on for a long time has finally become clear to me. It is one of those answers that is so obvious that I'm almost embarrassed to talk about it. But...that doesn't hold the final card, so I guess I'll just say it.

---The secret to having a hospital patient be happy and satisfied is to simply ask him what he wants and give it to him. (You may have to massage this dynamic a bit to get the desired response.) The patient may not have had his preferences cared about for a long time. He may be out of practice with the basic art of being civil. Or, it may not have been his strong suit to begin with. Have NO FEAR... eventually, if you are sensitive to his situation, you will get the response that is desired.

---That will usually illicit a smile and a thank you. He will then be set up for a friendship if one cares to pursue it. Simple supply and demand. Probably the same thing that works on you and your whole family. I majored in economics...I should have gotten this much sooner.


1] Ask him/her what he/she wants and supply it. If this is done you will receive a smile at the very least.

2] Listen to what he/she has to say AND hear what he/she is really saying

3] Take him/her seriously

---If these steps are followed, I guarantee that will see changes in your relationships. The more your heart buys into this will be the greater the rewards you reap from doing it. Be Well.

Understand that I am NOT speaking of Medical Needs. I am speaking of the patient's communication with his team.

No comments: