Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Decisive Moment - Jonah Lehrer


.
---A very interesting listen. I think one can easily hear how things have evolved as they have. One of my own pet-peeves is that I don't think that they rehabilate the whole person at LHH. I think that they patch the leg or minimize the disease in a pretty good manner, but tend to decrease the all important decision making function of the individual they alledgedly rehab. They send him out less prepared and more vulnerable to a community more apt to use and abuse this individual/resident/patient than they once were.
---They for-all-intents-and-purposes took ALL the decisions away from the residents and had meetings that supposedly decided every possibility for the resident (that included all the furniture, placements, wall pictures, etc.,) so the resident would NOT defile the precious look of the NEW hospital alledgedly designed for him. Does it ever beg the question...what is wrong with this picture?
---I firmly believe that an effort should be made by the therapies department to restore the decision-making skills of the residents. Especially those that they send to the community. I think that an overhaul is needed in many cases and the bandage on cancer approach never gets to the heart-of-the-matter. I, also, think that the system has the brainpower to do it but falls short in their abilities to coordinate such an effort. I'm sorry if anyone is offended by this piece.

No comments: